Smaller Type
Default Size Type
Larger Type
Print This Page
Email This Page

Royalty Payments

Taxpayer Identification Number

Federal law requires that individuals and partnerships provide a certified Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for the owner account. For individual owners, your TIN is your Social Security Number. Other entities should provide Employer Identification Numbers. If the appropriate TIN is not received, Marathon Oil is required to withhold 28 percent from your payment for federal income taxes.

Suspended Payments
For your protection, interest payments are occasionally suspended due to questions regarding your account. Such suspension occurs:

  • When your address is not current
  • When a title dispute is underway
  • During an assignment of interest
  • During a change in address
  • During a transfer of property

Address Change

It is important that you notify Marathon Oil’s Division Order office in writing when you change your address. For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Payment Schedules

Most royalty owners receive a check monthly, unless the amount due is less than $50. Smaller amounts are accumulated and paid when $50 has accumulated or at least once every six months. Those owners with interest in Oklahoma oil and gas wells may elect to receive monthly payment for proceeds greater than $25. Those owners who would like to do so should make such request in writing to the address shown below.

Marathon Oil Company
Division Order Department - 2069
5555 San Felipe Street
Houston, TX 77056

Payments for oil and natural gas are handled differently. Oil payments typically relate to the previous month’s sales. Natural gas payments denote sales typically two months earlier, for they require more time to process, both physically and administratively.

January 25, 2017    February 24, 2017
March 24, 2017    April 25, 2017
May 25, 2017    June 23, 2017
July 25, 2017    August 23, 2017
September 25, 2017                   October 25, 2017
November 22, 2017    December 22, 2017