Social responsibility, collaboration and stakeholder engagement are critical to our ability to develop and maintain meaningful relationships, operate efficiently, create long-term value and return capital to shareholders.
Our vice president of Health, Environment, Safety, Security & Corporate Sustainability is accountable for Marathon Oil’s overall sustainability efforts. This leader works closely with our senior vice president and general counsel who is responsible for our governance, stakeholder engagement efforts and social investments. The Health, Environmental, Safety and Corporate Responsibility (HES&CR) Committee of our board of directors provides oversight of our social responsibility and sustainability efforts and meets at least quarterly. Once a year our full board receives an update on our social investments.
In 2020, we:
- Transitioned our in-person stakeholder engagement efforts to virtual, where possible, due to COVID-19.
- Leveraged our internal FasTask customer service system to streamline our landowner engagement process.
- Continued our support of the Bioko Island Malaria Elimination Program (BIMEP), which has resulted in a 55% reduction in the malaria parasite prevalence (from 45% in 2004 to 20% in 2020) in children ages 2-14 years.
- Supported local communities, including the Three Affiliated Tribes in North Dakota’s Bakken region, by providing personal protective equipment (PPE) and food bank donations.
- Despite the challenges of COVID-19, we were able to substantially fulfill our social investment commitments, helping to build healthier, safer, stronger and more resilient communities.
- Enhanced our sustainable supply chain processes and procedures to include COVID-19 safety guidelines.
How are we doing?
Your opinion matters. Please take a moment to let us know how useful you find the content on this page.
If you’d like to give us your feedback on the entire report, please fill out the complete survey for the 2020 report.