Social responsibility and stakeholder engagement are critical to our ability to develop and maintain meaningful relationships, operate efficiently, create long-term value and return capital to shareholders.
We prioritize social responsibility in everything we do, and from the highest levels of our organization. Our executive vice president, general counsel and chief administrative officer has leadership accountability for Marathon Oil’s social responsibility efforts, with oversight from the Health, Environmental, Safety and Corporate Responsibility (HES&CR) Committee of the board of directors.
Social Stewardship Excellence
At our core, our mission to provide affordable energy underpins socio-economic development in regions where we operate. But, we understand that our operations can also bring challenges to communities.
Throughout a project’s lifecycle, we build trust and mutual understanding with landowners, suppliers, community organizations, lawmakers, elected officials, regulators, industry peers, business partners and others. In collaboration with these stakeholders, we work to understand how our operations impact communities where we operate. We then develop and execute plans and projects to address social issues, with a focus on public health, safety, education and the environment. Whether working with individuals or communities, we respect their human, cultural and legal rights.
We know that we can’t do it alone – it takes the whole of our industry. We’re committed to the tenets of safety, ethical business conduct, respect for human rights and sound labor practices, and we expect the same from our supply chain partners. Our commercial agreements reinforce expectations that suppliers align with our values, adhere to our policies, and comply with all applicable export, anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws and regulations.
To strengthen our communities and relationships and amplify our social impact in 2019, we:
- Refined our social investment strategy to increase program impact and align partners around three main goals:
- Building healthier and safer communities by addressing infrastructure stressors,
- Building more resilient communities by protecting and restoring natural resources, and
- Building stronger communities by ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education for all.
- Engaged industry partners, lawmakers, elected officials, community leaders and nonprofits to improve the quality of life in areas where our employees live and work.
- Joined the Oil & Gas Trafficking Awareness Group, an industry coalition that raises awareness about and fights against human trafficking.
- Vetted, hired and monitored suppliers we work with to ensure we have a sustainable supply chain.
How are we doing?
Your opinion matters. Please take a moment to let us know how useful you find the content on this page.
If you’d like to give us your feedback on the entire report, please fill out the complete survey for the 2019 report.